Jesus told us that greatest commandment is to love God and our neighbors; nothing is more important to us than doing that faithfully and in ways that offer compassion, dignity, justice, and love to all. We regularly serve at several ministries within our congregation and throughout our city and seek to learn as much as we can about issues of social justice facing our city, nation and world.
He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?
~ Micah 6:8
Serve In Our Church
There are a number of opportunities to serve the people within our church community including:
- Worship team – ushers, readers, greeters, people to set up for worship are needed every Sunday morning. The worship team facilitates that- you can also simply sign up to be an usher or greeter!
- Care Team – Cares for those who are elderly or need assistance during illness by praying, sending cards, preparing meals and more.
- Community Relationships Team– This team guides the church in being the best neighbors we can possibly be to our community.
- Faith Formation Team – shepherds discipleship of all age levels by creating opportunities for study and spiritual growth for all ages.
- Community Life Team – Helps host events that bring the community together- sets up, prepares and serves food, cleans up, plans ways for people to connect with each other.
Serve In Our City
St. Mark’s organizes and supports a number of ways to serve the city including:
- C. Martinez Elementary School – we partner with Martinez to promote literacy and support students, families, and teachers. Our volunteers partner with others in the neighborhood to run the school library and help with other schoolwide events. To volunteer, please sign up through Pastor Ginny and complete the background check for HISD’s Volunteers in Public Schools program: houstonisd.org/vips
- Agape Bags – Agape Bags provide a small meal for those in need you may encounter throughout the city. You can pick bags up any time from the large bin just inside the courtyard entrance and keep them in your car for when someone may need it!
- Community Garden – our amazing garden on the west end of our property provides fresh produce to the HIM Food pantry and helps teach our preschoolers about growing fresh food! The plots are tended by volunteers. To join the team, contact Alitta at [email protected]
- The Heights Interfaith Ministries Food Pantry is a longtime partner of St. Mark’s – we were among the founding churches in this neighborhood-based food pantry! There are always opportunities to serve, and you can sign up through their website.
- FAM Houston is a ministry partner that works all over Houston, primarily connecting resettled refugees, immigrants, and local Houstonians to build empowered communities and a city where everyone belongs. We partner with FAM in a variety ways – to learn more about how you can get involved, contact Pastor Ginny.
- Montrose Grace Place provides a safe, welcoming environment for vulnerable youth experiencing homelessness of all sexualities and genders, providing nourishment, healthy relationships, and hope for the future. On the 4th Monday night of the month, a team from St. Mark’s prepares and serves a home cooked meal for the youth and volunteers. To learn more or get involved, contact the office to be connected to the group leader!
Serve In Our World
St. Mark’s is part of a global United Methodist Connection that serves all over the world, especially in moments of conflict and disaster. We support this work through regular giving and special giving through the United Methodist Committee on Relief.
We also have a couple of our own special international partnerships:
ZOE is a program developed in Africa that empowers orphans and vulnerable children around the world to overcome extreme poverty, become fully self-reliant, and learn of God’s love for them. St. Mark’s is a partner with ZOE’s Dora Working Group in Zimbabwe. For more info read the Zoe partner group report.
Emmanuel Methodist Church in Cochabamba, Bolivia, has hosted our youth for learning and service trips. We hope to return soon! If you or your youth is interested in visiting our friends in Bolivia, contact Pastor Emily.